08 Feb 5 Tips for Secure Online Shopping
Shop Online with Confidence
By now we should all be aware that online shopping can bring with it a host of potential security risks. But shopping with confidence is possible if you take some simple precautions before you start clicking the purchase button.
- Look for “https” – Secure eCommerce websites always have “https” in the address and lock symbol. If you don’t see it in the URL, it generally means the site hasn’t been updated to the latest security technology yet – and making a purchase is a bad idea.
- Create unique passwords – Using the same password for multiple websites can make all your accounts vulnerable to attack. Create complex and unique passwords for each account you register for to keep your online shopping secure.
- Beware of fake links and apps – Always confirm that you’re shopping on a company’s official website or mobile app – and not on one of the thousands of fake websites and phone apps created by highly motivated cybercriminals.
- Use your own device – Don’t shop on public or work computers where you run the risk of exposing your credit card information to malware and other data-capturing software. Use your own computer or device to shop online.
- Check your statements – Get into the habit of always checking your credit card statements to make sure there are no fraudulent charges. If you see something questionable, call your bank ASAP.